Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sisterhood Watch: You're it!

Sisters' Fall Meeting September 13, 2008

Comments delivered by Patti Adams

I would like to begin by sharing a comment by Sister Sheri Dew: “I once attended a fireside where a General Authority began by asking the question, "How can you tell if someone is converted to Jesus Christ?" We gave dozens of answers about service and commitment and obedience, none of which satisfied him. Finally he said that while our comments were all good, he believed that the one sure measure of a person's conversion was how he or she treated others."

"I frankly expected something more profound, but his assertion so intrigued me that it drove me to the scriptures, where after much study I began to see how profound his message was: When we turn our hearts to the Lord, we instinctively open our hearts to others.”

You have heard of the Neighborhood Watch program? Neighbors watch each other’s yards for suspicious activity and act on it if they find something wrong. Sisters – today I would like to propose the “Sisterhood Watch” program. It’s similar to Neighborhood Watch, but the purpose is far different and the rewards are eternal.

Watch out for the sisters who live nearby – whether or not they are members. Is all well at their homes? Or do they need a quick visit over the fence, a phone call, or a card that says “I thought about you today”. Maybe they would appreciate one of your loaves of bread, or a can of jam from your kitchen. Maybe they have more serious needs that are not obvious to ward leaders. You may be the one who is watching, friendshipping, and discovering the hidden needs and can be the one who acts to help get her the assistance she needs.

I feel we can do just a little better in reaching out to the sisters within our ward boundaries - with a greater demonstration of love, charity, and giving. One of those ways is with our Visiting Teaching. (a brief video was shared).

I am sure you have all played the game “tag”. Someone tags you and you’re it. Well sisters – I’d like to tag you today. You’re it! You’re who the Lord has do His work. You are the ONE the Lord speaks to when he says “Feed My Sheep”. The irony is that as we reach out, our circle of friendship will grow and bless us as individuals. I testify to you that life will become sweeter, as you are prayerful and act on the small ways in which the Lord prompts you to reach out and share your heart with others.

Let us keep in mind Lucy Mack Smith's classic statement that "we must cherish one another, watch over one another, [and] comfort one another . . . that we may all sit down in heaven together"?

There isn't anything righteous we can't accomplish if we will stand together.

Patti Adams

No comments: